Sunday, October 12, 2008

Big open night for the Moon

Saturday, Oct. 11 was a Public Night at Stephens Memorial Observatory. Another amazing turnout! I did my best to keep an accurate count but I'm afraid that with 135 clicks on my counter I still managed to miss some attendees at Saturday night's Public Night. The announced main subject was the Moon though we started out with views of Jupiter -- Jupiter was in clear air while the Moon was behind clouds -- at 7:30 (a full half-hour before official opening). Three of the Galilean satellites were on one side of the planetary body with number 4 not visible. When I learned it had emerged from the clouds, I swung the telescope over to the waxing gibbous Moon --90 percent of full-- and we stayed there all the rest of the night. The crowd was mostly adult, general public, with a smattering of students (maybe half a dozen). Many good questions about astronomy and the history of the observatory. The last visitors left at about 10:30 (official closing was 10:00) after getting a view of the Pleiades and a bevy of hot, young, blue stars.

No comments: