Sunday, August 15, 2010

Canceled August Public Night

Last night's scheduled Public Night at Stephens Memorial Observatory was canceled. Weather this year has really been an enemy to those occasions. Thunderstorms and cloud cover rolled through the area in the afternoon and evening hours. Unfortunately, at about the time I canceled the event (about 8:30 PM) some reporting stations were saying the sky was "clear." I still find that hard to believe but enough doubt crept into my mind that I felt guilt for the rest of the night. I've got to set up a team of trusted spotters I can call to check the actual sky conditions, or just go to the Observatory every scheduled night to see for myself (a bit of a drive). I hope the weather is good for September's Public Night... we'll see Jupiter (probably without its southern equatorial cloud band), Uranus, and the Moon. It'll be a great show, IF the sky is clear!

No comments: