Monday, May 14, 2012


Sunday, May 13 dawned reasonably clear and so, with cloudy skies anticipated, a few rushed photographic observations were made of our Sun. Solar astronomers of every ilk have been excited lately by the Sun's visibly increased activity. Active Region1476 (a huge sunspot group) dominated the solar disk and astronomers' attention though it had been joined by several smaller but notable sunspots. I decided to use my beautiful new telephoto lens to try and capture images of the solar disk and my efforts were rewarded. The image wasn't perfect and I know I'll eventually get better images but it's the best solar astrophoto I've done to date! Besides the sunspots large and small, visible in this photo are granulation and other disturbances -- the chromospheric network -- in the solar atmosphere. Notes on the photography: Canon EOS 50D, ISO 400, f/8, 1/1,250 sec., 400mm Canon telephoto, AstroZap white light film solar filter, May 13, 2012 at 9:15 AM. Sky was generally clear but this shot was made through a persistent, thin cloud trail left by passing aircraft.

No comments: